Welcome to the ultimate guide in pregnancy body pillows. Our mission is to help all our expecting mothers get a better night’s sleep, and in doing so, alleviate as much of their physical and emotional stress as possible. You’ll leave our website confident in knowing the maternity pillow that will best provide for your wants and needs. We’ve done all the research and hard work for you and present to you only the best of the best options in the current market.
How are Pregnancy Body Pillows Different from Regular Pillows?
Pregnancy pillows are manufactured specifically to meet the unique and demanding physical needs of pregnant women as their bodies change to nourish the growing baby within. The thought, research and science that goes into the design of these pillows in 2018 is really impressive. Customer reviews across the board attest to high quality pregnancy pillows providing exceptional comfort, pain relief and quality rest for expecting mother’s who have been otherwise struggling with terrible sleeplessness and fatigue.
Best Pregnancy Pillows For January 2019
|Leachco Back 'N Belly Contoured Body Pillow, Ivory||U||Price||Polyester||10|
Full Body Pregnancy Pillow
|PharMeDoc Full Body Pregnancy Pillow||C||Price||Foam||9|
|U Shaped-Premium Contoured Body Pregnancy Maternity Pillow||U||Price||Polyester||9|
|QUEEN ROSE Full Pregnancy Body Pillow||U||Price||Polyester||9|
|Naomi Home Cozy Body Pillow||U||Price||Synthetic down||9|
|Snoogle Chic Jersey||C||Price||Polyester||8|
|Today's Mom Cozy Comfort Pregnancy Pillow||U||Price||Polyester||8|
|Meiz U Shaped Body Pregnancy Maternity Pillow||U||Price||Alternative down||7|
Comfysure U-Shaped Hypoallergenic Pregnancy Support Pillow
Even women who are the best of sleepers tend to struggle with sleeping comfortably during pregnancy, but women who are already restless sleepers and change positions multiple times through the night often feel defeated completely when trying to get a good night’s sleep while pregnant. If this sounds like you, then the U-shaped Hypoallergenic Maternity pillow is a great choice and an even better one if you tend to have allergies that make you sensitive to various types of cushion fill and cover materials.
- The design is a large, long U-Shape (59” x 39”, 7 pounds) that caters for switching positions from one side to the other or early pregnancy belly-sleeping with ease. General consensus from customers who have reviewed the pillow is that it has a soft to very soft feel.
- With the filling and cover made purely from polyester, this pillow is designed to ensure those with allergies to many of the materials used in traditional pillows are catered for.
- There is no need to spend precious time removing and replacing fiddly pillow cases if you choose this pillow because the entire thing can be tossed into the washing machine as a whole. A fresh feel and smell are a guarantee if you choose the Comfysure, which is definitely a plus in the long term; but beware, machine washing can heavily affect the durability of the pillow. Fortunately, the cover can be removed separately if longevity is more important to you than ease-of-cleaning.
- The pillow is not only designed for pregnant and expecting mothers, but also to provide support for breastfeeding mothers, multi-position sleepers and those who suffer from back pain, sciatica and other medical conditions that require special sleeping positions for pain relief.
- Multi-position support
- Ease of cleaning
- Several uses
- Extra-long for taller women.
- Too large for many.
- Case not as durable as others
- Not travel-friendly
Being an extra-long u-shaped design with a wide surface, this pillow caters to those who are focused on robust support in multiple positions. Hypoallergenic materials and the ability to machine-wash the entire pillow for ease-of-care are great bonuses and you can be sure you’ll be able to reposition yourself several times through the night without having to make any huge readjustments to the pillow with it being so large and symmetrical on both sides. At 39” by 59”, If you have a smaller bed or are looking for a pillow you can travel with, then this may not be the best choice for you.
Leachco Back ‘N Belly Contoured Body Pillow
If you are someone who tends to have just as much back pain as you do belly pain during pregnancy and you find it has been disturbing you at night, Leachco Back ‘N Belly pregnancy pillow promises to be the pillow that finally gets you a good night’s sleep.
- Balanced support in a small/medium sized pregnancy body pillow (51” x 33.5”, 7 pounds) that offers a snug design to give equal support on either side for both back and belly.
- The U-shaped design has well placed curves on the inside of the “U” that contour nicely around your shoulder/chest, belly and inner thighs and provide superior comfort for those who need it most.
- Excellent full-feeling head support that assists with countering gastric reflux.
- Customers rated the pillow as being soft or medium on the inside of the “U” and firmer towards the outside of the “U”
- Leachco promises that the design allows for better alignment of your hips to ensure a neutral joint position while sleeping and providing relief for those with sciatica, fibromyalgia and carpal tunnel syndrome.
- Removable cover that is machine-washable, but several customers have commented on how tight the cover fits and how difficult it is to put back on after washing. There were also many customers that found the outside seams on the pillow case to be uncomfortable.
- Multi-position Support
- Unique comfortable curvy design
- Snug balanced support for back and belly
- Great head support
- Very difficult to get cover on.
- Outside seams uncomfortable
The Leachco Back ‘N Belly is a good allrounder. Medium in size and having some variance in Its firmness via the soft inner “u” and firmer outer “u”. This full body pillow has great appeal to those who find the average u-shaped pillow to be a bit broad or full when they are trying to get comfortable. The curvy design sets it apart giving it greater flexibility when it comes to finding that perfect position and Leachco is a popular brand known to make a quality product. The curvy shaped design does have a downside though, and that is the difficulty in removing and replacing the cover. This, as well as the thick outer seams causing discomfort, has been the most common customer complaint to date. If you like or need to clean your pillow regularly or are easily annoyed by texture, then the shape and case could be a deal-breaker for you when making your final purchase decision.
PharMeDoc Full Body Pregnancy Pillow
What most people don’t realise, is that it isn’t just the size of your belly that can make it difficult to sleep while pregnant. There are all sorts of hormonal and physical changes going on that disrupt your body and these changes evolve and vary over the course of your pregnancy. With that in mind, an ultra-flexible maternity pillow that caters for the ever-changing therapeutic needs of mothers-to-be is a highly desirable product and PharMeDoc has taken aim at meeting this demand with its Full Body Pregnancy Pillow.
- Comfort through flexibility is the main goal of this pillow’s C-shaped design which allows the user to twist and curl both ends of the pillow into the user’s desired comfort position in the front, while experiencing full length support in the back.
- This pregnancy body pillow aims to align your neck spine stomach and hips for an ergonomic sleep. Based on customer reviews to date, the pillow is generally rated as having a medium feel and is considered small to medium in size (61.8” x 11.4”, 7 pounds).
- PharMeDoc has incorporated adjustable poly-fill into their design which can be moved and plumped into specific areas to create a more tailored fit.
- The pillow is hypo-allergenic having a 100% cotton cover and 100% polyester hollow fiber fill. The cover is removable and machine-washable and is free from many of the known allergy-causing substances such as BPA, lead, latex and phthalates.
- PharMeDoc offers a lifetime warranty on their product. With this maternity pillow’s flexibility and adjustable poly-fill, the warranty provides great peace of mind. As great as a lifetime warranty is, it should be noted that a number of customers have complained about the inner covering ripping quite easily and the fill falling out.
- Super-flexible design
- Adjustable poly-fill
- Lifetime warranty
- Taller users may find the pillow too short
- Inner covering tears easily
This PharMeDoc full body pregnancy pillow is a real find for anyone who feels like the average full-length maternity pillow just never moulds to their body shape as perfectly as they would like. Its adjustable poly-fill is quite unique and allows the user to make it plumper and firmer in various areas for more tailored comfort. You won’t have to worry about allergy issues or footing a bill to replace it either, given it’s hypoallergenic and has a lifetime warranty. If you’re quite tall though, and you don’t want to be dealing with the customer returns process when this pillow tears like many consumers say it’s prone to doing, there are likely better alternatives from our list.
Web Linens Inc U-Shaped Premium Pregnancy Pillow
Tossing and turning in bed is a given when you’re an expectant mother and the ability to change positions without having to sit up, rollover or pull and tug at your pregnancy body pillow for several minutes is more valuable than gold to most women.
U-shaped pregnancy body pillows are an excellent product for minimising middle-of-the-night repositioning woes and the Web Linens Inc U-Shaped Premium pregnancy pillow is a great contender amongst its competitors.
- This pregnancy body pillow is a traditional u-shape with a twist. The twist being the hour-glass curved inner sides designed to provide more naturally supportive lines for the curves of a growing mother. This pillow is at the larger end of the scale when it comes to maternity pillows (60” x 35”, 8.7 pounds) and offers full length orthopaedic support.
- Customers generally rated this maternity pillow as being very soft with a firmer neck support area. It is not overly plump though and many customers felt it was either too flat to begin with or lost support over time, flattening out too quickly and easily.
- The pillow cover is made of a cotton/polyester blend and the inside is made of a polyester filling that Web Linens Inc has designed to reduce and resist heat and which promotes airflow. Because of this heat resistance, the pillow cover has superior durability and can be washed and tumbled dried at very hot temperatures without issue.
- Web Linens Inc have made this a great pregnancy pillow to try by backing their product quality with a 100% money-back guarantee offer.
- Money-back guarantee
- Unique curved design for better comfort
- Durable heat-resistant easy-care cover
- Minimal repositioning time
- Looses plump and flattens quickly
- Larger than most pregnancy body pillows
- Unpleasant smell out of the box
The Web Linens U-Shaped Pregnancy Pillow offers some great value for women who don’t get back to sleep very well and need to be able to reposition quickly with as little disruption as possible. It’s also a good choice for those who don’t take a lot of care when it comes to their laundering. It’s a nice long full pregnancy body pillow with supportive curves for those who like a larger pregnancy body pillow and the best part is that if you don’t like it, you can give it back and you’ll get a full refund. Those who like a plump pillow over the long term may not find this suitable given its tendency to go flat fairly quickly and it’s certainly not designed to be easily portable at 60” in length and nearly 9 pounds in weight.
Moonlight Slumber Comfort-U Total Body Support Pillow (Full Size)
If there’s one common sleep complaint that pregnant women have, it’s how they just can’t seem to be able to keep cool enough to enjoy a calm and restful night’s sleep. Expectant mothers describe growing a baby in your belly as like having a little hot water bottle attached to your tummy all day; great if you live in Antarctica, but not so for the rest of us.
Moonlight Slumber has produced an excellent product in the Comfort-U Total Body Support pillow that does a superior job among competitors of keeping you cool and comfortable.
- An oversized u-shape design (60” x 35”, 10 pounds) that is broader at the top end than most u-shaped pregnancy body pillows and quite a bit heavier. Provides thick, full-length support that is great for relieving back aches and joint pain.
- Specifically crafted with synthetic down fill called Fusion Fiber that does an excellent job of keeping you cool and has a wonderful fluffiness and plump to it. Materials are also hypo-allergenic.
- The cover is made of a polyester/cotton blend and can be removed quite easily for machine washing. The Fusion Fiber can withstand high heat also making the whole pillow machine and tumble drier friendly.
- Comfort-U assures buyers that this pregnancy body pillow will always stay plump and won’t ever flatten or clump in the way many others do over time. A myriad of customer reviews support that claim and applaud the quality of the materials.
- Great for hot sleepers
- Holds shape and thickness well over time
- Soft fluffy feel but supportive
- Whole pillow is machine-washable
- Very large and heavy
- Large sharp zipper can cause discomfort.
There aren’t too many full body pregnancy pillows that do well to keep you cool at night and this one does it very well. With this pillow, you won’t be breaking the bank with replacement within a short period of purchase because your pillow has gone flat. It will keep its plump (which has a lovely soft feel to it) and you will feel great support and comfort. Unfortunately, if you want to enjoy any measure of closeness with your partner, you’re going to struggle with this plus-sized body pregnancy pillow. The breadth across the top is particularly cumbersome and the thickness doesn’t help with this either. Although not an issue for some, you won’t be travelling anywhere easily with this pillow and you may get an intermittent sharp pain or two from the unusually exposed sharp zipper on the cover that more than a few customers have complained about.
Queen Rose Full Pregnancy Body Pillow
Finding a pregnancy body pillow that suits you is no easy task. Even after reading reviews and pondering on the features that are most important to you, when you finally select a pillow to purchase, sometimes it just doesn’t work out the way you want. When this is the case, a money-back guarantee is an excellent fall-back and dealing with a well-resourced customer-focused seller to organise the refund is the icing on the cake.
Queen Rose provides both of these things, making it easier to give their Full Pregnancy Body Pillow a try. If you do, we think the majority of you will be very pleased with your choice.
- A medium sized u-shaped design (55” x 31”, 5 pounds) providing a great balance between size and comfort. You’ll still feel close to your partner with this pregnancy body pillow and storage and portability is much better than most.
- The pillow’s inner is made of a unique bionic polyethelene filling we haven’t seen in most other pillows. Queen Rose boasts that this filling provides high density support while maintaining an extra plush feel and most customers who have reviewed this pillow agree.
- The cover is made of 100% cotton and machine-washable, but customers aren’t too impressed with its texture. Overall feel is medium and customers reported improvements in lumbar pain, sciatica, fibromyalgia and other joint and muscle ailments.
- Multifunctional use is a strong point of this product, being smaller in size, it’s not such a drag to take out to the living room where it provides flexible comfort when watching tv, playing on your tablet or studying on your laptop.
- 30-day money-back guarantee so you can trial the pregnancy pillow without risk.
- Superior customer service
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Fluffy Hypoallergenic fill material that stays plump
- Practical for multi-use
- Cover has a rough irritating texture
- Too small for some favoured positions
If you’re someone that really needs to try before you buy and gets very cranky if you don’t get a grand customer service experience, this company won’t disappoint. You’ll enjoy the partner-closeness you get out of this pregnancy pillow as well as its portability, which provides for a greater range of uses. If outright comfort and full-length support are at the top of your list, there are better pillows to meet your needs. The rough texture of the cover is a bit of an oversight by Queen Rose and those with texture sensitivity should look elsewhere given this was one of the most common purchaser complaints.
Naomi Home Cozy
Often when women are looking for a good pregnancy body pillow, they mistake comfort for support. It’s possible to have both excellent support and superior comfort in a pillow (and many of our top-rated pillows reviewed here do), but sometimes a soft pillow either has very little support to begin with, or the support disappears very quickly with mild use.
You won’t have to worry about losing support if you purchase the Naomi Home Cozy Body Pillow. It has a firm, full feel that will stand the test of time and you are guaranteed to get superior joint support when using it.
- A very thick large u-shaped full body pregnancy pillow (53” x 34”, 9.6 pounds) with excellent firm support that has the best customer feedback when it comes to durability of support. This pillow will not flatten on you for years to come.
- With a gusseted neck and shoulder area that rounds down ergonomically to the mattress surface, this pillow provides what we consider to be superior head and neck support over many of its competitors. The support makes it a great breastfeeding pillow as well.
- The pregnancy pillow is constructed well and consists of poly-foam filling which moulds well to the curvature of the body and a 100% organic cotton cover (available in 100TC & 300TC percale) with smooth well-sewn seams.
- Cover is easily removable and machine-washable for low maintenance hygiene management. As a bonus for the aesthetically-conscious, there are a boat-load of different colored cases available for purchase.
- Great head and neck comfort
- Smooth curves for body contouring
- Excellent durability of support
- Good choice for breastfeeding support
- Lots of cover colour choices
- Overly firm feel will deter many
- Extremely thick and heavy, very large.
For all those firm pillow and mattress loving expectant mothers, you should not look past the Naomi Home Cozy Body Pillow. You can expect excellent neck and shoulder support and a thick full pillow with excellent support for years to come. As a bonus you’ll be spoilt for choice when it comes to beautifully colored covers. For the more petite mums this pillow might be a bit much work to manoeuvre and move around and there will be a fair few husbands that curse this maternity pillow with all the room it takes up on the bed. Even with the great support it offers, if an overly firm feel really affects your comfort levels, you should broaden your search to look into some of the other more plush-feeling pillows we have reviewed.
Leachco Snoogle Jersey Knit Pregnancy Pillow
As pregnancy body pillows have become more and more popular, the range and variety available has bought down their average cost significantly. Even with these pillows becoming more reasonably priced, those of us on a tighter budget don’t feel justified buying a pillow that we’ll only use for sleeping during pregnancy.
The Leachco Snoogle Jersey Knit Pregnancy Pillow is one that you’ll most certainly extract value out of long after the baby has been born and finished nursing. Its versatility makes it an excellent competitor for those that want more than just a maternity pillow.
- A medium sized, light weight c-shaped pillow (58.5” x 25.5”, 2.2 pounds) that allows for excellent tailored comfort. The malleable, curled ends naturally hug you in front and can be tucked and twisted to your hearts delight. Taller women may not quite feel the comfort and support around their midsection you get with other pregnancy pillows.
- A highlight of this pregnancy body pillow is the jersey knit cover (60% cotton and 40% polyester) which has a lovely soft feel and is easily removed and machine washed. This material is highly durable and will last wash after wash.
- The inside fill is a light fluffy polyester that plumps nicely and has an overall soft to very soft feel. You won’t get the full-length support you get in some of the other pillows, but the plush comfort of this pillow is excellent and you won’t feel unduly separated from your partner.
- This pillow’s super light, versatile nature makes it an excellent multi-use pillow and you’ll find it easy to move from room to room and use for everything from reading to study on your laptop. In bed though, repositioning from side to side isn’t the easiest if you are a restless sleeper because it isn’t symmetrical on both sides and will have to be spun around.
- Lightweight and super versatile for multi-use.
- Doesn’t waste space; great partner closeness
- Luxurious soft-feel cover, durable and machine-washable
- Ultra-portable and travel friendly
- Not great for taller women
- Lacking full-length firm support
- Repositioning takes some time
We really like that this pillow will get lots of use and is great value for money. With all that use, durability is important and customer feedback suggests that the cover will stand up to a good beating. The soft cover texture is excellent and you won’t feel isolated from your partner with this pillow; however, you may notice lack-lustre support, particularly toward the end of your pregnancy when you’ve grown a bit heavier. Taller ladies are much more likely to prefer a larger pillow.
Today’s Mom Cozy Comfort Pregnancy Pillow
When it comes to caring for our babies, we find ourselves wanting the best of the best whether they are still in the womb or out in the world. There are very few pregnancy body pillows that can satisfy every want and need, but we think Today’s Mom Cozy Comfort Pregnancy Pillow strikes a great balance when it comes to support, comfort, size, contouring and ease-of-care. It’s a great all rounder and a sensible choice if you want a lot out of your pillow but don’t mind if it doesn’t top its competitors in any one area.
- A medium/large u-shaped pillow (56” x 32”, 10.1 pounds) that is narrower than many large pillows creating a snug feel. Overall feel is medium and support is rated as being sound, although some reviewers have mentioned that their pillow seemed underfilled.
- Much has gone into the ergonomic design of this pillow. Today’s Mom promises specially designed lumber support and a unique shoulder comfort system without squared, imposing edges that compromise the comfort of many pregnancy body pillows.
- Materials used in the pillow are functional and comfortable. The pillow has polyester filling that has a relaxed medium feel to it. The cover is made of 200TC percale and is easily removed and washed in the machine like a standard pillow case. A moderate number of customers have not been happy with the durability of the support stating that the pillow flattened much too quickly.
- This pregnancy body pillow is at the smaller end of the large pregnancy body pillows making it a more functional large pillow for various spaces, but it is also one of the heavier pillows we have reviewed. Repositioning is quick and easy with this pillow, as it is for most u-shaped pillows.
- Unique shoulder support comfort system
- Snug medium-feel lumbar support appeals to many
- Repositioning is quick and painless
- Easy to remove cover and machine wash
- Some consider it to be underfilled
- Not the greatest durability ratings
We rate this pillow as a solid choice for the expectant mother that wants a functional pillow with sturdy but not-too-firm support and superior shoulder and neck comfort. You’ll have no trouble keeping this clean and should get some good wear and tear out of it. The Today’s Mum Cozy Comfort Pregnancy Pillow isn’t the pick of the pack in any one area, but it is very well balanced for quality, usability, features and value and if you want both full-length support and manoeuvrability then this is an excellent choice.
Cheer Collection Alternative Down Premium Pregnancy U Pillow
The physical challenges that pregnant women face as they carry their baby to term are all very different, but sciatica has to be one of the most prominent ailments that pregnant women experience at one point or another. As hormone levels change, ligaments and nerve sheaths soften and the sciatic nerve is particularly prone to irritation when this happens.
The Cheer Collection Alternative Down Premium Pregnancy U Pillow is one of the best pillows we have reviewed and does particularly well at alleviating sciatic nerve pain. If you’ve ever experienced this pain, then you know a pillow like this will be highly sought after.
- A large u-shaped pillow (59” x 36”, 9.5 pounds) with an overall plush cosy feel. Support from this pillow is gentle but lofty which is the main reason it provides such excellent sciatic nerve pain relief, as attested to by the manufacturer and many of the user reviews.
- The materials used to construct this body pillow are luxurious to say the least. The filling is an alternative down which provides excellent warmth while still being well ventilated. The fill moulds amazingly well and somehow still provides an adequate level of support, even while feeling incredibly soft. Aches and pains are sure to disappear with this pillow.
- With a removeable zip micro-fiber cover that’s machine-washable, it is easy to keep clean; however, people seem to either hate or love the feel of the micro-fiber on the skin and ideally you would be able to test out the feel prior to purchasing.
- Repositioning in the night is an easy feat with the large long symmetrical u-ends.
- High quality materials
- Very plush while still being adequately supportive
- Notable sciatic nerve relief
- Repositioning is quick and easy
- Micro-fiber cover not particularly soft
- Uncomfortably large for co-sleeping
This has to be one of our favourite full body pregnancy pillows. We are still trying to work out how a pillow so soft can still provide such great orthopaedic support while being full, plump and easily adjustable. Customers speak highly specifically of the pillows magical pain relief qualities; for sciatica in particular. The modest downsides are that your partner will probably have to wave at you from the opposite edge of the bed because of its considerable size and you may not particularly like the micro-fiber’s textural feel. Overall though, a high quality product that we highly recommend.
Meiz U Shaped Body Pregnancy Maternity Pillow
If you’re a working woman or have had other children at home while pregnant, then you know all about the menacing affects pregnancy can have on your circulation. When you’re on the go all day, getting swollen feet and the all embarrassing “sausage toes” just becomes a part of normal life as pregnancy progresses.
The Meiz U Shaped Body Pregnancy Maternity Pillow targets women who need relief from swelling and inflammation and want a full body pillow with a therapeutic focus. We think this is an excellent choice for more than just its therapeutic benefits.
- A medium sized u-shaped pillow (55” x 30.7”, 6.6 pounds) developed by a nurse and mother of five that has not surprisingly focused the design on therapeutic needs. Its reasonable size and weight allows for more versatile uses beyond pregnancy and breast feeding.
- The filling is made of a high-density extra soft bionic polyethelene that has a medium/firm puffy feel. The outer cover is ultra-soft 100% pure cotton which can be removed and machine washed. The puffy feel might be great initially, but many customers have reported a loss of support and the pillow flattening much quicker than they hoped.
- All materials on the pillow are hypo-allergenic and promote easy breathing to assist those with asthma and other allergies.
- Purchasers mostly agree that they experienced great improvements in their circulation, spine and hip alignment and general aches and pains after only using the pillow for a short period.
- The pillow has a great extra-long contoured mid section but its overall length can be a bit skimp for taller women.
- Promotes improved circulation
- Reposition with speed and ease
- Versatile for non-pregnancy use
- Comparatively long mid-section
- Lovely soft cover texture
- Length not optimal for taller women
- Questionable durability of filling support
If you’re wanting to alleviate your aches and pains and improve circulation with a versatile multi-use pillow that is very soft to the touch, then this pillow will more than meet your needs. Unfortunately, you will have to give up some full-length support and some of the favoured positions you’re able to enjoy on a larger pillow to enjoy the versatility of this this one. Customer feedback puts a valid question mark on the longevity of the pillows fill support, but we still feel this is solid value-for-money and you’ll get a lot of use out of this pillow during pregnancy, while breastfeeding and well beyond that.
Benefits of using Pregnancy Pillows
Types of Pregnancy Pillows
A minimalistic pregnancy pillow that can be used to support the belly or the lumbar (or both if you have two) without taking up a large area of bed space and isolating your sleeping partner. The ligaments in your belly are already under a lot of pressure as your baby grows and sleeping on your side can worsen your growing pains substantially if you don’t have the appropriate support in place.
Different Versions of the Wedge Pillow
Round Pregnancy Wedge Pillow
Triangular Pregnancy Pillow
The round edge wedge pillow tends to be softer than the triangular pillow and a bit more versatile in terms of its ability to be used in other areas. The Triangular wedge is usually firmer and longer and provides more robust support and elevation than its rounded counterpart.
- Very affordable, decent ones are available on Amazon from as low as $19.
- Portable and travel-friendly.
- Your partner won’t feel isolated or squished over on the edge of the bed like they would with some of the other huge pregnancy pillows.
- Very limited support; only supports a very specific part of your body.
- Triangular version can be too stiff to be comfortable and round ones are often too soft. It can be difficult to get one that works for you without testing before you buy.
- You may ultimately need several other pillows to give you the comfort and support that this alone lacks.
Full-Length Pregnancy Body Pillows (Linear)
As the name suggests, these pillows are designed to provide support for the full length of the body and are a simple long column or slightly curved shape. The design aims at providing comfort from the head to below the knee and the pillow doesn’t consume too much of the bed in terms of width. Customers who have a lack-lustre bed or mattress may prefer this style of pillow because they can fit almost completely on top of it if necessary to get the additional cushioning and support their bed and / or mattress is lacking.
Different Versions of the Full-Length Pregnancy Body Pillow
Straight Full-Length Pregnancy Pillow
Flexible Full-Length Pregnancy Pillows
Both versions share many of the same advantages and drawbacks, however the curved pillow provides more tailored neck and shoulder support and may not be quite as long.
Main Advantages Full Length Body Pillow (Linear)
- Full length and width body support.
- Won’t eat into your partners space as much as other designs do
- Usually has a very plump lofty feel.
- Easily usable outside of pregnancy due to regular shape.
Main Drawbacks of the Full Length Body Pillow (Linear)
- More difficult to mould and shape then some designs
- Doesn’t provide dual tummy and back support
Wrap-Style Full Body Pregnancy Pillows
Wrap-style full body pregnancy pillows have emerged as the most popular choice in today’s market for expecting mothers. Their versatile dual-sided comfort with robust support that assists with elevating and aligning hips joints and legs provides pain relief and comfort that is hard to match. For dual-sided comfort, one of the trade-offs is the larger size and wrap-style full body pregnancy pillows are comparatively larger than other styles width-wise.
Different Versions of the Wrap-Style Full Body Pregnancy Pillow
The C-Shaped Pillow
As the name suggests, this version is shaped like the letter “C” and has a particularly snug feel. These pillows are usually around 59-62” in length from end to end and are an excellent choice for someone who has a preferred side for sleeping as the front ends can be tucked between the legs through to underneath the belly and the top end can be positioned under the neck and shoulders. Although the wrap-style types are larger than other types, the C-shaped style is more medium to medium/large in size and usually quite light and portable for effective multi-use. Although the C-Style pregnancy body pillow has great versatility, repositioning from side to side isn’t the easiest because the dual ends of the “C” are only suitable to be used on the front side and the pillow has to be flipped over to switch sides.
The U-Letter Body Pillow
The U-shaped pregnancy body pillow is usually the largest and heaviest of the choices available in the pregnancy body pillow market, and as a result, is the King of dual sided orthopaedic support.
These pillows are usually 58”- 63” in length and anywhere from 32 – 39” wide. They weigh anywhere from 8 – 10 pounds and from these dimensions you can tell that comfort is the sole focus, certainly not portability or multi-use. This body pregnancy pillow style is great for women that toss and turn because it offers identical support on each side and repositioning effort is minimal. It has excellent length and the majority of tall women will have a preference for this style over the c-shape. The share size of these pillows makes them an unpopular choice for the partners of pregnant women and they are not really a realistic option for anyone sleeping in anything smaller than a queen bed with a partner.
Main Advantages of the Wrap-Style Pillow
- Simultaneous front and back robust support
- Excellent elevation of the hips without misalignment of spine
- Ability to tailor to your body shape better than others.
Main Drawbacks of the Wrap-Style Pillow
- Usually larger and bulkier than other styles.
- Expensive in comparison to others.
- Shape can make it more difficult to clean and replace covers.
How-to-Guide For Selecting a Pregnancy Body Pillow
Reading all of these excellent, well-researched pillow reviews is all very well, but every woman is different and faces both different physical and personal needs. Your unique preferences and priorities are important to understand so that you can make the right purchase the first time.
Step 1 – Identify your unique needs and preferences
Here’s a list of questions that will help you get to the bottom of what’s most important to you. After answering these questions and following the steps outlined below, you should have a clear picture of exactly what you want and need from your pillow.
- Do you have any medical issues at present or aches and pains that a specific style of pillow would be suited to?
- What size bed do you sleep on and do you need to fit yourself and a partner comfortably on the bed together?
- If you do have a partner, is part of your ability to sleep well related to feeling close to them or being cuddled by them?
- Do you prefer a very plush, medium or firm feeling in your pillow based on your experience with your current pillows?
- Do you toss and turn a lot through the night without a preferred side or do you prefer one side or sleeping on your back?
- Are you a more petite sized woman or a taller / larger woman that wants the advantages of full length support?
- Do you have limited time to take care with your laundry? Will you be washing your pillow case often?
- Are you wanting a pillow for more than just sleeping? i.e/ providing comfort while sitting up studying, propping up a laptop etc…
- Does your lifestyle require that you travel often?
- Are their specific areas that are more important in terms of comfort for you (neck, lower back, upper back, belly, shoulders, hips)?
- Do you overheat easily at night?
- Do you have any allergies or sensitivities to certain materials?
- Are you particularly sensitive to any remotely textured material while you sleep?
- What is your budget and how important is the economy of the pillow you purchase?
- Is excellent customer service a high priority for you?
- Do you want the opportunity to try before you buy at no risk so that you can be assured of getting what you want the first time?
- Is it important that the pillow last a very long time and that the build-quality is excellent?
- If the pillow isn’t exactly what you want or need, do you want to be able to get a full refund no questions asked?
Step 2 – Identify your key priorities based on your needs and wants
Okay! If you’ve answered all of the above questions, you should now have a great idea of all the features that relate to your specific situation when it comes to all of the important features in a pillow. Now we need to get down to prioritising. Use your answers as a reference for ideas to undertake the next steps:
- Make a list of the things / features you absolutely could not live with.
- Make a list of the features you absolutely must
- Now make a list of 3 or 4 other features that would be really nice to have.
The “must haves” will go at the top of your feature priority list, the “nice to haves” will go next on your feature priority list. The “could not live with’s” should be put in a separate list to the side and any pillow that shows these features should be eliminated from being considered for your purchase immediately.
Step 3 – Determine the pillow style that best fits your list of prioritised needs and wants
Scroll back to the area on this main page where we discuss the different pillow styles available and look at the advantages and drawbacks of each. Find the style that best matches with the list you made in Step 2.
Step 4 – Use our reviews to find a pillow that best fits your list
With your preferred pillow-style in mind, now you can go to our comprehensive list of well-researched reviews and you’ll have the best chance of identifying the one that will be gold for you!
Congratulations! You’re ready to make a decision.
There you have it. A sensible guide for identifying your needs and the features most important to you to make a great maternity pillow purchase. We would love to hear about your experiences using our how-to-guide and how well it worked for you. Please leave your experiences in the comments area at the bottom of this page.
Technical Information about Pregnancy Body Pillows
Pillow Fill Materials
Sometimes it can be confusing to understand how the different fill materials of pillows fit with your needs. Below is a list of all of the main types of filling used in available maternity pillows telling you their key features and comparable differences.
Styrofoam Ball For Pregnancy Pillow
This is the most common fill in less expensive pillows and as you will see, not many on our review list have this material in them. This filling is easy and inexpensive for producers to manufacture. The styrofoam balls are made out of polystyrene and are light-weight allowing for good airflow. This fill is most commonly seen in bean-bags.
The biggest drawbacks of the styrofoam ball filling are that it compresses very quickly over time and can be difficult to remain in place when you find a comfortable spot. The other annoyance with this style of fill is the noise it creates when you change from position to position. Your partner will get pretty cranky with you if you’re a restless sleeper and select a pillow with this type of filling. The support isn’t the best with this style of fill.
Polyester Fiber Filling
Polyester fiber filling is one of the most popular fillings used by manufacturers. A key benefit of this material is that it can be moved and moulded nicely while still providing a sound level of support, it is best used in conjunction with other materials because it’s quite firm. Make sure you check the percentage of polyester in the fill, the higher the polyester content, the more firm the pillow will usually be. Polyester tends to be quite a hot material, and this is a clear drawback. The other issue is that polyester doesn’t quite have the longevity that other natural fibers have such as cotton and bamboo.
Memory Foam Filling
When this material hit the market it became a quick favourite and sold in droves. Its moulding properties are amazing, and it seemed to do the impossible by offering amazing support while still being very soft.
Those who are environmentally conscious were not too impressed with the uptake of this product initially because it’s manufacturing process had some very un-friendly environmental effects. This process has been refined over a number of years now though and the high-quality memory foam manufacturers have been able to produce a superior product without having a negative effect on our environment.
Buyers need to beware that cheap versions of product are still quite environmentally un-friendly, are often too firm and can have an unpleasant smell so you’ll need to make sure you are buying from a quality supplier with good reviews. Another complaint about this type of filling is that it doesn’t have the greatest of breathability and can make you very hot.
Natural And Organic Filling
We have combined these three natural filling types because they share mainly the same properties and also because they are usually used in combination with other materials.
Natural fibers are hypoallergenic and have excellent breathability but they are often combined with materials like polyester because they don’t quite have the structure that can provide for firmer support and also, filling pillows 100% with natural material can be a bit more expensive.
This is a great natural alternative pillow fill but isn’t sold by many manufacturers. Users often purchase a suitable cover and then fill themselves with buckwheat which is readily available at the grocery or health store.
Buckwheat pillows provide some flexibility because you can fill them to the level of support that you prefer and they are organic and environmentally friendly. They breath well and distribute heat nice and evenly. They are very durable.
Main drawbacks are the weight of this type of pillow and the noise they create when moving. On top of this, they provide a unique type of firm textured support that people seem to either really enjoy or really dislike. The buckwheat also has a distinct earthy type of smell that is not to everyone’s taste.
Size Of The Pillow
Don’t just buy a pillow because its features are interesting, or it is the only one left. Consider the size of your bed and the comfort of your partner. The bigger the pillow, the more your partner will have a rough time sleeping next to you. But if you have a large king sized bed, you can go for a bigger bulky pregnancy pillow that will provide more cushions. And at the same time provide excellent comfort for your partner. If you have a queen size bed, you can buy the medium sized pregnancy pillows. It is important to know the size of your bed so that you don’t purchase the kind of pillow that does not fit.
Soft Vs Firm Pillow
Some women will prefer a soft pillow; the big problem is that they provide less support. So this makes them useful for resting purposes. While, firm pillow, provide strong unmatched support, you have to bear with it during the first few weeks before getting used to them. Because they will make you uncomfortable.
Consider The Level Of Support.
Where are you experiencing body pain? Is it in the neck, joint, back or tummy. Whichever place that is aching you, they are different pregnancy pillows for that problem.
During the pregnancy circle, your body is always sensitive when you touch new fibers. And with time you start developing allergic conditions such as asthma and other allergies. Or, if you know that you have some respiratory problems, you may need to choose pillows that are hypoallergic.
Body Types And Sleeping Positions
It is possible for you to choose the wrong pillow if you have not paid attention to either your body type or sleeping position. Here is the list of all the best pregnancy pillows for different body types and sleeping positions.
For Twin Moms Or More
Moms who are expecting twins, their tummy size is larger than standard tummy. For, this reason, they are recommended to use U-shaped pregnancy pillows. Because it will provide the support required.
For Plus Size Moms
If you are large, don’t shy away from pillows. There is a perfect size for you. And that is C-Shaped pregnancy pillow. Because it is asymmetrical made so that it positions your body on the pillow.
For Side Sleepers.
As a side sleeper, you could be looking for a pillow that is smooth and at the same time provides support to your spine. Because you sleep on one side, the distance between the head the mattress is greater than stomach sleepers and back sleeper. Therefore, the best pregnancy pillow for you is the original shredded memory foam bamboo body pillow.
For Back Sleepers
Pregnant mom is not allowed to sleep on their back. However, how much they love this position. For the back sleepers, they can buy Back ‘N body and Snoogle pregnancy pillow. Why? Because these pillows push against their back.
For Stomach Sleepers
In the USA, 16% people sleep on their belly. Although resting on your stomach is enjoyable (I like it), it poses some serious health issues. If you are a stomach sleeper you are likely to get body ache, snoring problem- when you inhale lots of dust, bacteria and bad smell the whole night. If you are a stomach sleeper, you need to avoid firm pregnancy pillows. Because they will make your face have wrinkles, and you will look older. We have looked into the archives and found that the shredded memory foam pillow with bamboo, is the best pregnancy pillow for tummy sleepers.
The Petite Sleeper.
If you are a shorter person, you are not left behind. You can still have a comfortable sleep while pregnant. The best pregnancy pillow for your size is the Leachco Snoogle Mini Compact and the total petite body. This pillow can be found on Amazon or Walmart with a click of a button.
How To Care For The Pillow
We suggest cleaning your pregnancy pillow at least every 4 to 6 weeks or you will begin to get a build-up of dust and bacteria and in very humid climates, mildew and mould may even be an issue. As a rule, synthetic based pillows are usually easier to clean and care for and are a better option if you know that you’re probably not going to have time or make much effort. For more detailed instructions please read our Full How-TO Guide about cleaning pregnancy pillows.
Well, there you have it! Our complete guide to pregnancy body pillows. We hope you feel we’ve left no stone unturned in helping you understand every aspect of the pregnancy pillows available in today’s market. We work hard to make our reviews insightful and useful so that you can make an informed decision when looking to purchase a maternity pillow.
We would welcome your feedback on any of the pillows we have reviewed (or haven’t reviewed) or additional information you feel we can add to make our site even more valuable for expecting mothers and their families. Please leave any feedback and comments in the section below.